Friday, January 26, 2018

Breastfeeding Thoughts for Soon-to-Be Moms

I have been breastfeeding since day 1. Hour one. Within the first 30 minutes. Literally, he popped out of me and got thrown on my chest to start nuzzling. 




Luckily, I have never had supply issues for the most part. If anything, I have an oversupply now that I pump, but I want to keep the babe on breastmilk for a year.

I am no breastfeeding expert, but I have learned a few things along the way.


  • Your nips will hurt. Get Lanolin. I used it religiously after every time he ate (even if he only ate on the left boob, I would put it on both.) My nips STILL got sore, but it helped a lot, and within 10 days, it got better. My mom did the old-school rub your boobs roughly with a towel after every shower, but they don't recommend that these days. Along those same lines...
  • Your boobs will hurt. The day your milk comes in is like a chest workout that you didn't prepare for. They are huge and hurt. Sometimes, they come with a clogged milk duct or mastitis (I had a clogged milk duct and it was BAD.) Your baby will start sleeping through the night, and you will wake up either hurting, uncomfortable, or with a nipple sticking out of your nursing tank. Your body makes what your baby needs, so please don't overpump and overfeed, but there's still not enough warning for the uncomfortableness it will bring.
  • You will get guilt. You will have days when you don't think you have enough milk. You might even have days when you don't have enough milk. You will feel bad that you are feeding too often, then feeding not often enough. You will feel guilty having to pump and have the baby take a bottle. You will feel guilty when your baby won't take a bottle. If you don't worry, you don't care.
  • Your boobs will look different. Bigger, yes. Lower, yes. But also, the babe has literally left purple veins around my nip from pulling on my left boob.
  • Your boobs will make different amounts of milk. You make a ton of milk while you sleep (which is another reason why sleeping when the baby is sleeping is SO important!) You make less milk in the evening. And if you're me, your right boob will be the producer that keeps the baby thriving, and the left boob is just for snacks. (If he hasn't eaten in a while, it's usually 5-6 ounces from my right boob, and 3-4 from my left.)
  • Pumping will suck. But if you don't do it, your boobs will hurt. You have to have a place to pump, a place to store the milk, and a baby who will take bottles. So work at it. It is a learned habit, and I doubt it has ever come natural to any woman without help, guidance, a manual, and pictures to go with it (and don't be ashamed to youtube it!)
  • You will forget pump parts at home when you go to work. You might even have to go to two pharmacies in your 30 minute lunch to try to find replacement parts, and spend $50 on a manual pump when you already have two at home for ONE part. Repeating for a friend. I wish. Double check before you leave EVERY DAY that you have everything.
  • You will be confused by all the parts to your pump. How they go together, how to wash them, what goes where, what shouldn't go where, etc. You'll get used to it.
  • Washing pump parts sucks, along with the bottles the baby uses while you are pumping. Get a good bottle brush and a drying rack. Make it a nightly routine, even if you hate doing dishes, and even if you never did dishes on a daily basis. It sucks, but it's now a part of your life, but only temporarily.
  • Your boobs will leak. Seriously. Mine still leak. My sister didn't have this issue, but I ALWAYS have to wear nursing pads. Anytime I have a random let down, my  boobs will leak through my bra and shirt, so I just wear nursing pads religiously. Some women don't have this issue, but prepare yourself just in case.
  • You might think it's weird. If you don't, someone else will. Breastfeeding in public is a big deal right now. Should you do it? Should you cover it? I will give this advice: make sure that no one feels disrespected, but first and foremost, take care of you and your child. I usually throw a blanket over me until he is latched, but then take it off, since no one can see once that happens. I always used my cover in public, but people are still shocked that I will do it anytime, anywhere. Just remember, you don't owe anyone an explanation.
  • You will feel like a milk cow. I asked a friend, "If we were stuck on a deserted island, would y'all feed me all the food and then drink my breastmilk?" You have real thoughts about cows bred to produce milk. You might even stop drinking milk altogether, because the thought grosses you out.
  • You will find feeding positions that work best for you and your babe. These positions will change over time. You may like a pillow underneath you, or you might just like to hold your baby and walk around. Your baby will get HEAVY, so find a position where you and the babe are comfortable, as well as they are getting a good latch.
  • You will have a bond with your baby that no one else has. This is not a drill, not a joke, nothing. I wasn't ever sure about having a baby, so I'm so glad I have that extra bond with my child that was so necessary when I had him. I feel like he loves to cuddle up against me, loves to spit up on me, and loves to look up at me with the nip in his mouth with a huge smile and big blue eyes and it will melt your heart and the world will stop and it's just the freakin' best.
  • You will think everything is weird, but I promise, it's all normal. If you think something is off, there is no shame in going to a professional for help. Do the best for you and your baby.
  • Don't shame anyone for doing it, and don't shame anyone for not doing it. Just don't. Be a decent human being.



As always, consult with a doctor or lactation consultant about concerns, but these are things I've either heard or experienced, so good luck and get 'er done.

No comments:

Post a Comment